Monday, November 22, 2010

Sky Blue Pink with Purple Polka-Dots

When asked what his favorite color was, my Grandfather (Mom's Dad, we called him Poppop Chipmunk..and that's a whole nother story) his response would be Sky Blue Pink with Purple Polka-Dots. And for those of you who I have never explained this to, what he was referring to is that certain point, either as the sun is rising or setting, when the sky still has some blue in it, but the clouds are changing to a really vibrant pink and purple at the same time. It's a beautiful mixture of color in the sky that always brings a smile to my face. The other morning I woke up (Yes, I said woke up..not going to bed. It was strange for me as well.) And saw this outside my kitchen window.
Thank You, Poppop. You are always loved and missed.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You have no idea who I am, and this is really random, but that was my dad's favorite color as well, and I just did a google search, because sometimes we do silly things like that, and found your post.

Here's to sky blue pink with purple polka dots and moments that take your breath away.

Unknown said...

My grandpa (mom's dad) used to say the same thing!!!

Deb McLamb said...

My dad said the same thing, but he added a little variety to it. He’d call out, “Look! Did you see that? A giraffe looked the window and he was sky- blue pink with purple polka dots!” I’d look at the window and then shake my head no. “Look!,” he’d say again. “There it is again!”
He’d do this a couple more times, thoroughly enjoying himself. It’s one of the best things I remember about him.

Linda and Brian said...

Me too. My Dad born in Liverpool said this many times. I thought how could a person make this up.

What colour I'd ask should I paint this Dad? He'd reply sky blue pink with purple polka dots. The sunset interpretation must be it. Thanks. You can't make up this stuff. 2019

Deb McLamb said...

And after 50+ years, I find out that my dad’s imagination wasn’t as original as I thought! I assumed he’d made it up! And it seems only men said this. Hmmm...

Clayton Brannen said...

My dad would say "sky blue pink with pink and purple polka dots." I still say it myself today.

Unknown said...

Wow! That's exactly what my mom always says. I've never heard anyone else say it. Thank you for giving me a "color scheme' to look for when buying things for her. ❤

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! My granddaddy used to say that was his favorite color!! My mind is blown I never thought to google it but now I’m so glad I did! I have so many photos of sunrise and sunset in this color 🥰🥰