Monday, February 1, 2010

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

A lot of walking is exactly what I did on Friday night, but let's start at the beginning. When I woke up mid-afternoon (yeah, I know, I'm lazy....but I work most nights til 4/5 am...so I deserve it!) I realized that it had been snowing for awhile, considering we already had maybe an inch of snow on the ground. So, after an hour of catching up on some TV shows, I bundled up Lola and myself for some snow fun.
My house in the beginning of the snow.
All bundled up for the snow!
Lola really wasn't a fan....
So, after our fun it got a call from my mom saying she had just left work on Cherokee Blvd. She left early in hopes of beating the snow and making it home for the weekend. No such luck. She got stuck right before the tunnel going into Red Bank and with the help of some very nice strangers she got pushed and on her way. However, by this point in time the snow had yet to let up and the conditions were only getting worse. So, I told her to come stay at my house, rather than try to make it up the mountain; especially since my dad was stuck at home and couldn't even make it out of the driveway. WEEEELLL....after 3 hours of driving around and trying to make her way to my house (which I should mention is surrounded by hills) Mom was unable to make it. She ended up getting stuck AGAIN but this time on Ashland Terrace..got pushed out AGAIN and parked her car at the Rite Aid at Ashland and Dayton Blvd. From there she walked to the gas station on the corner of Ashland and Thrushwood Dr. During this time I bundled up again and made my trek up Thrushwood to meet her at the gas station and walk her back to my house. What a mess I saw. Of course I was in rescue mode and neglected to take my camera, but there were cars everywhere! Which I'm sure everyone saw.
Well, we finally reached each other, grabbed some essentials at the gas station and made our way back. This whole time Josh was still at work and unfortunately not made enough money to be able to just stay downtown where he was safe. So at 6:00, with it getting colder, whiter, and darker, Josh tried to make his way home. He got as far as the S Curves on Hixson Pike. HE GOT STUCK and had some very nice strangers help him get out of the muck and he turned down Haywood Dr. He was able to make it about a block and a half before he realized there was a big hill coming up and there was no way he would make it. So he parked on the side of the street in front of a house, bundled himself up as best as he could, and started walking. Everyone was finally safe and sound by 7:00 that evening.
The next morning Josh and I once again put on the layers for outside and headed to his car....walking..yet again. All in all I probably walked 3+ miles IN THE SNOW....I think I'm good on my cardio workout for at least a week, don't you???
Unfortunately we never got to actually play in the snow. Which made me super sad. No snowball fight, no snowman...nothing but walking. Oh well, maybe next time.

No comments: