Thursday, January 14, 2010

Family Ties

For the last couple nights, I have spent most of my free time pouring over google searches and any genealogy stuff I can get my hands on. Ever since I can remember, I was told that one of my ancestors signed the Declaration of Independence, George Clymer. However, we have never been able to find the evidence to support such claim.

Shortly after I finished Dan Brown's new book, The Lost Symbol, my mom and I realized that a lot of the stuff mentioned pertained to our family; such as Freemasons and the Rosicrucians. George Clymer was one such Rosicrucian. Later on in history a man by the name of Reuben Swinburne Clymer started the now center for this organization, Beverly Hall. Which my mom clearly remembers being at and there is even a painting floating around somewhere out there of my mother, her brother, and their grandfather at the rose gardens located at Beverly Hall. Well, after Reuben stepped down from his high honor position, his youngest son, Emerson Myron, took over. Not only does my mother remember being at Beverly Hall, but she remembers her father, my grandfather, talking about an Uncle Emerson. In my research I have found that Emerson and Reuben are direct descendants of George.

Now, the tricky part is getting all the links put together. I'm probably missing about 2 generations of history that would link it all together, and then all that would be left to do is verify the parts that I'm speculating. If anyone has any good sources; please, please send them along. I've been doing what I can on www.ancestery.com , www.familysearch.org, and www.rootsweb.com . As well as searching different keywords on Google. Any other tips would be helpful; I can't wait to finally find my way to George, and then fan out from there to see where my family ends up. It's so exciting to find out where you come from and find out all the history on family members.
**all information about Reuben, Emerson, and Beverly Hall came from www.soul.org. It's a really neat website that talks about them and their influences on the Rosicrucians and the organizations influence on America, as well as the world; check it out!

2 comments:

SarahKL said...

Bri - that is so crazy that we are both searching family history right now! I have always remembered that a relative of yours signed the DofI, that is so cool you're finding out more pieces of the puzzle. I just wrote a post about ancestry.com and all I've been able to do with it. Keep me updated on what you find! :)

with love, Emily said...

That's really cool, Bri!!!! Hey I definitely need the pics of you, me, Sam, and Sarah at my wedding and Sam, you, and me at Sarah's wedding that you have on your blog header! Love them!