Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Financially Savy

One of my desires for this year is to save money; which means that it is time to become FINANCIALLY SAVVY. There are a few steps I plan on taking in order to reach the ultimate savviness (yeah, I just made that a word.)

Step 1. NO MORE EATING OUT FOR EVERY SINGLE MEAL. Yes, it may be more convenient, but there are some major downfalls. Whenever Josh and I are deciding on what to eat for dinner, we usually end up in a slight argument because neither can decide on what we are hungry for. This is due to the fact we eat out every single night and there is seriously nothing we haven't had in a awhile. Also, since we just happen to be out of the house, we always end up meeting up with friends for a few drinks, or just going by ourselves. This ALWAYS leads to spending some big bucks. So we figure in order to save money eat at home.

Step 2. USE COUPONS AND WEEKLY SALES FLIERS. These I have a feeling are going to be a god-send. I have started printing of coupons from www.coupons.com and also buying the Sunday and Wednesday newspapers to scour through the weekly sales ads and the coupons that are supplied. So far this week I have saved about 20 bucks on groceries. Granted that was only two nights meals and some household supplies, but still 20 bucks is 20 bucks, right!? I really want to get in the habit of using my resources and keeping track of how much I save. That's the great part about shopping at like Bi-Lo, which I do because it's close to home, but they also keep track of your yearly savings. Lately, I have always walked out of the grocery store with a smile on my face just because of the size of my loot and the grand total (well, usually not so grand) on my receipt.

Step 3. PAY OF CREDIT CARD DEBT. With tax returns coming shortly, I really want to take a good chunk of mine and pay off some of my debt. Then, not only will I hide my cards for emergencies, but I plan to keep setting money aside from my wages and still making "payments" on my credit cards, just not to the creditor..to myself. I have a savings account that I have set up for special things and this is where that money will be placed and then I will also get to collect interest on it. Good idea, I think so.

So far this is all I have. If you have any ideas or resources to help me on my way to ultimate financial savviness, please share the wealth and pass it along.

1 comment:

SarahKL said...

Whoo hoo! Great ideas! I've been trying to do the coupon thing - go to SouthernSavers.com and learn about CVS-ing. It's CRAZY fun - you can get a lot for free! Okay, and my other suggestion is to look into Dave Ramsey's stuff. (I think we talked about this at lunch that day) It has helped us SO MUCH, we are forever grateful for the principles we learned through his class/book. YAY FOR GOALS! haha!