Sunday, March 27, 2011

OB.SESSED

Lately, I have found that anytime I turn on the TV, I am instantly drawn to any type of programming directed toward weddings. From TLC's Four Weddings, and Say Yes to the Dress to WETV's My Fair Wedding with David Tutera. I'm talkin' crazy obsessed. I could sit on my couch all freakin' day and watch episode after episode of these shows. God forbid if there happens to be a marathon of Say Yes to the Dress on TLC and My Fair Wedding on WETV. How would I ever chose which one to watch?!?! Anyways, the point of me coming clean about my not-so-secret secret obsession is that I started thinking today; maybe I'm having a slight difficulty planning my own wedding because these shows make girls' wedding dresses/flowers/ just day in general SO over the top that it's super hard to compare to. I mean really, the one I watched tonight wanted a "royal" wedding. So, David came in 3 weeks before the wedding just like normal and changed everything! Took her probably $100 dollar dress and replaced it with a dress that had to of cost $25,000. That's just the dress! He gave the bride a groom a wonderfully decorated and blinged out wedding. Who could ever afford this kind of stuff in real life?! The same goes for TLC's Four Weddings. Now with this show, no one comes in 3 weeks before and changes everything. Four brides go to each others weddings, rate them, and whoever wins gets a free honeymoon. But every time I watch I'm flabbergasted. These brides have spent anywhere from $15,000- $50,000 on their weddings! And then they want to get on TV to compete for a honeymoon that they "deserve" because they are broke. Girl, Please. Spend a quarter of that wedding budget on the wedding, and treat yourself to I don't know, a honeymooon? A house? A shopping spree?? But it's just ridiculous and makes planning my own very small budgeted wedding a little more discouraging. How can mine compete?? It's just unrealistic. Wow, I really had some pent up feelings about this. I still love the shows and love watching the brides in the gorgeous gowns and their B-E-A-utiful wedding days. But, please, someone tell me I'm not crazy and you feel the same way! Please??

1 comment:

J.E.R. said...

Honey-you're not crazy at ALL! But realize there's no need for competition! It's a day of love and friendship surrounded by a loving family-if you got married at the courthouse or had this $1940772 affair, the outcome is just the same, only option #1 saves you a LOT of debt you'd accumulate.

Keep your chin up and be happy with your decisions to stay smaller =].