Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Good Home Cooked Meal

It is now time to share our delicious meal from last week, just as I promised. After spending the better part of the day out running errands and shopping (Old Navy had their jeans on sale, and we DESPERATELY need new ones) I returned home and spent the better part of the evening in the kitchen preparing dinner. What was on the menu you ask?? We had meatloaf, home style mac-and-cheese, baked zucchini chips, and all of that followed by a no bake Snickers pie. All this equals TWO, yes two, hours spent in the kitchen. But it definitely was worth it. 


Meatloaf (courtesy of my mom)
1 lb. ground beef
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups milk
basil
garlic salt
Parmesan cheese
1-2 cans beef gravy
1-2 cans mushroom gravy or fresh sliced mushrooms (that is if you like mushrooms)















Mix all ingredients together until sticky. Place in pan with beef gravy spread over bottom of pan. Cover the meat loaf with mushroom gravy or beef gravy and add fresh mushrooms if you so choose. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.

Home-Style Mac-and-Cheese



 















Now, I have to be honest. I really was going to make my mom's recipe, but I decided to go the easy route. And thank goodness I did, could you imagine 3 hours for a weeknight dinner?!?! So, while at the grocery store, I grabbed a box of Kraft's Home style Mac-and-Cheese. Super easy to make, and just a delicious as Mom's.


Baked Zucchini Chips

This was a recipe that I found on Pinterest. So easy 
to make and again, yummy yummy. I think these might end up showing up a lot at our family dinner table. For the recipe, click here.




No Bake Snicker Pie

















Another Pinterest find. All you need is:

1 pie crust
1 can condensed sweetened milk
8 oz. cream cheese
2 cups whipped cream
1/4 cup caramel sauce
3-4 Snickers bars

All you do is mix the milk, cream cheese, caramel, and whipped cream together. Chop up the Snickers bars and sprinkle some on the bottom of the pie crust, put some in the batter, and sprinkle the rest on the top. What I did was use 1 on the bottom, 2 in the batter, and the last one on the top. I also drizzled some more caramel and a little bit of chocolate on the top before sprinkling the remaining Snickers. Then you chill in the freezer for a few hours. And ta-da! Done...easy as pie! (hah...yeah, I'm a dork). source.


**On a side note about this, I did not realize that you don't have to take the pie crust out of the aluminum holder thing. So when it did, it broke. Instead of running back the store, I continued to crumble it up and then sprinkled it on the bottom of one of my glass pie dishes. So, I suppose this is more of a truffle thing rather than a pie, but either way, it's freakin' amazing!**


And there it is, our yummy...maybe not so healthy dinner. But at least we were at home! Wonder what's on the menu for this week...hmmmm...

No comments: