Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas Festivities 2012

Decking the halls, Christmas crafts, and some celebrating the joyous day. That's what we've been busy doing. It's a whirlwind that I'm not even really sure where to begin. So, we'll just start with the crafts I got done.

On my list of things to accomplish for this month, I wanted to get a few crafts done...nothing too crazy..just some cute ideas I had seen online. First up was some reusable gift tags. Chalkboard ones in fact. I got the idea from here, and decided to try it out on my own.
 
 

 
First I spray painted my wood cut outs, found at your local craft store, with chalkboard paint.
 
 


 
After the second coat has dried, hot glue whatever you wish to use as a string.
I used a silver cording and looped it to be able to tie  on to the ribbons and bows on packages.
 
Next, take a piece of chalk and just quickly rub it all over the painted side of the tag.
This treats the paint, and makes it have that chalkboard finish.
 
The finished product!
 
 
I also came up with the idea to make some icicle ornaments, sorta inspired by this pin on pinterest. Unfortunately, when I went to Hobby Lobby, the only mirror squares they had were mostly broken pieces. So, I improvised. I decided to get a couple bags of those little clear jewels and some fishing line. I started with gluing one jewel on the end of the line, and then...because I'm a genus and made one with silver beads on it...which of course my husband loved, I had to string those teeny tiny seed beads on to each one I was making. Like 40 of them. It took me at least a week. Genius. Well, when I finally finished that step, I glued another jewel to the end to make a loop. And tada!  Finished product that made  a wonderful addition to our tree. 


I really love how they reflect the light!!

 
I had wanted to make a snowman painting for our kitchen, too. But, that only got the background painted. Maybe next year??

Now, here are a few pictures of our brand new home all decorated for Christmas. I'll just show you part of the kitchen and our living room. Since it is after Christmas and my house is a wreck...oh, and that's about all my decorations would cover....our house is just a tad bit larger than our previous ones.
 
 
 
 
 
Sorry for the horrible quality of pictures, they are from my phone.
 
 
And for our celebrating?? Well, on the 17th I had my annual Big Chill Christmas Party. Sorry, no pics this year, but it was a blast as always. We started the day off with lunch, opening presents, then we all had the night off so we could hang out together and enjoy the holidays. Then, on the 23rd, Josh's parents came in town to celebrate Christmas with us. We went out to eat Sunday night and then did our gift exchange with them, but unfortunately they had to head back to Helen on Christmas Eve...and I had to work. But, Josh and I both had all day of Christmas off so we got to spend the day up on Signal with my parents and grandparents. It was a perfect way to spend the day. By the time we got back home, we were so full and sleepy we just fell on the couch to watch a movie...which I didn't even make it through.  
 
Well, I think that pretty much covers it. And except for not finishing the snowman painting, I completed everything on my December Goals. Not to shabby if I say so myself.  It really was a great Christmas season...and I hope all of you had a wonderful time celebrating with friends and family as well. Merry Christmas to all (a little late) and a very, very Happy New Year!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  

No comments: